UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Penn State Football defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Manny Diaz has been named a nominee for the 2023 Broyles Award, The Frank & Barbara Broyles Foundation announced on Tuesday. The Broyles Award honors college football’s top assistant coach.
The 57 nominees in this year’s class were selected from approximately 1,500 assistant coaches representing 131 FBS programs across the country. A selection committee of distinguished former head coaches, broadcasters and a committee representing the FWAA will select 15 semifinalists, five finalists from the list of nominees, and an overall winner.
2023 Penn State Defense Notes
- Diaz is in his second season as Penn State’s defensive coordinator and linebackers coach and was a Broyles Award semifinalist in 2022.
- Through 10 games in 2023, Penn State ranks second in the nation in total defense (239.7), rushing defense (77.2), sacks per game (3.8) and first downs defense (133), is third in total sacks (38), fourth in scoring defense (13.1) and tackles for loss per game (8.2), and fifth in turnovers gained (20) and total tackles for loss (82).
- The Nittany Lions sit sixth in fumbles recovered (10), seventh in passing defense (162.5), 10th in passing efficiency defense (110.49) and 16th in fourth down conversion defense (30.4).
- Through 10 games, 24 Nittany Lions have recorded at least one tackle for loss and 18 have recorded at least one sack.
- Among FBS teams, Penn State has the most players (18) with at least 1.0 sacks this season, while Penn State is tied with Appalachian State, Kansas State, Oklahoma, SMU and Texas State for the most players (24) with at least 1.0 tackles for loss this year.
- Penn State has held eight opponents under 100 rushing yards this season (Delaware, 82; Illinois, 78; Iowa, 20; Northwestern, 45; UMass, 64; Ohio State, 79; Indiana, 80; Maryland, -49).
- The Nittany Lions have held four opponents to 60 or less passing yards this year (Delaware, 58; Iowa, 56; UMass, 45; Michigan, 60).
- Against Michigan, PSU snapped an eight-game streak holding opponents under 100 rushing yards.
- Since the start of the 2022 season, Penn State has held 17 opponents under 100 rushing yards, tied-most in the FBS.
- Against Indiana, Penn State snapped a streak of 16-straight games with at least five tackles for loss.
- Against Ohio State, the Nittany Lions snapped a streak of at least three sacks in 11-straight games.
- Over the last two seasons, Penn State has held opponents to under a 50 completion percentage in nine games, the nation’s sixth-most in that span.
- Over the last two seasons, the Nittany Lions have allowed under 10 completions in five games, tied-most in the nation.
- Since the start of the 2022 season, Penn State has forced 46 turnovers (24 interceptions, 22 fumbles), tied-fourth in the nation.
- Penn State’s 22 fumbles recovered over the last two seasons are tied-third in the nation and are most in the Big Ten, while the 24 interceptions are tied 19th.
- Penn State has recorded three or more takeaways in nine games over the last two seasons, tied-most among FBS teams.
- Over the last two seasons, Penn State is 12-0 when forcing multiple takeaways in a game.
- Since the start of the 2022 season, Penn State is first in the nation in turnover margin, averaging a +1.17 margin (2.00 gained per game; 0.83 lost per game).
About the Broyles Award
The Broyles Award was created in 1996 recognizing Coach Frank Broyles’ legacy of selecting and developing great assistants during his hall of fame career as head coach at Arkansas. You can follow the Broyles Award on Facebook, X and Instagram.
For information on joining the Nittany Lion Club and ticket information for the 2023 Penn State Football season presented by PSECU, as well as club seating in Beaver Stadium, fans can visit www.PSUnrivaled.com, or call 1-800-NITTANY weekdays from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.