AUSTIN, Texas —
The Texas women’s basketball team started the game with a 6-0 run and came away with a 61-54 win over No. 2/2 Kansas State on Sunday at Moody Center.
Freshman Madison Booker continued her scoring streak with 20 points, six assists and three rebounds. This is her third straight game scoring at least 20 points.
Aaliyah Moore grabbed her second double-double of the season with 10 points and a career-tying 15 rebounds. Senior Taylor Jones recorded 13 points along with eight rebounds. Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda scored seven points for the Longhorns and DeYona Gaston contributed eight points.
The Longhorns (21-3, 8-3) limited Kansas State to 20 points below their season scoring average. The 54 points the Wildcats scored was their lowest total of the season. Texas held Kansas State to nine points in the second quarter, the 20th time this season UT has held an opponent to single digits for a quarter. The Longhorns defense held Kansas State to 19-of-53 from the field (35.8 percent) and 3-of-21 from 3-point range (14.3 percent).
Up next the Longhorns will travel to Fort Worth to face off against TCU on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. CT at Schollmaier Arena.
• Texas picks up its second top-15 win of the week (No. 13 Baylor and No. 2 Kansas State), improving to 21-3 on the season, and 8-3 in conference play. The Longhorns have now won nine of the last 10 outings against the Wildcats.
• Texas improves to 12-2 at home this season and 27-5 all-time at Moody Center.
• The Wildcats came into today averaging 74.0 points a game. Texas held Kansas State to their lowest offensive output of the season as they limited them to just 54 points, 20 points below their average.
• The Longhorns got off to a strong start with Senior Taylor Jones opening the scoring. The team went on a 6-0 run and held Kansas State scoreless for the first three minutes and six seconds.
• Between the first and second quarter, Texas held Kansas State to no field goals for nine minutes and 38 seconds.
• In the second quarter, Texas held Kansas State to just nine points, marking the 20th quarter this season where the Longhorns have held an opponent to single-digit points.
• Texas started the second half similar to the first with Jones opening the scoring and a 6-0 run. Jones finished the night with a near double-double of 13 points and eight rebounds. Jones has now scored 10 or more points in her last five games.
• Junior Aaliyah Moore posted a double-double of 10 points and tied her career-high 15 rebounds. It was Moore’s seventh consecutive game with double-figure points. She led the way • on the glass, as Texas outrebounded Kansas State 39-30 and consequently won the second chance points battle 21-12.
• Freshman Madison Booker had her third straight game with 20 or more points, seventh game of the season with 20 plus points, and 13th in a row with double figures as she had a balanced 20 points, six assists, three rebounds, and one steal.
• Senior Shay Holle had a tied team-high six assists, two rebounds, and drew two charges while playing all 40 minutes for the Longhorns.